This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gartner headquarters in Stamford
|Industry||Research & Advisory Services|
|Founded||1979Gideon Gartner in Stamford, Connecticutby|
|Revenue||US$4.25 billion (2019)|
US$4.1 billion (2018)
|US$(4.3) billion (2017)|
|US$3.3 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||US$7.3 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$983 million (2017)|
Number of employees
Gartner, Inc, officially known as Gartner, is a global research and advisory firm providing information, advice, and tools for leaders in IT, finance, HR, customer service and support, communications, legal and compliance, marketing, sales, and supply chain functions. Its headquarters are in Stamford, Connecticut, United States. The firm changed its name from Gartner Group, Inc to Gartner in 2000. It is a member of the S&P 500.
Research provided by Gartner has historically targeted CIOs, senior IT, marketing, and supply chain managers. The acquisition of CEB, Inc. has expanded its range and breadth of offerings to support every business function in every industry and enterprise size. Gartner clients include large corporations, government agencies, technology companies, and the investment community. Its client base consists of over 15,000 organizations in over 100 countries. The company's products and services include Research, Executive Programs, Consulting, and Conferences. Founded in 1979, Gartner has over 15,000 employees located in 100+ offices worldwide.
The company was founded in 1979 by Gideon Gartner. Originally a private company, the Gartner Group was launched publicly the first time in the 1980s, then acquired by Saatchi & Saatchi, a London-based advertising agency, and then acquired in 1990 by some of its executives, with funding from Bain Capital and Dun & Bradstreet. The company went public again in 1993. In 2000 the name was simplified to Gartner. Gene Hall has been the CEO of the company since August 2004.
In the course of its growth, Gartner has acquired numerous companies providing related services, including Real Decisions—which became Gartner Measurement, now part of Gartner's consulting division—and Gartner Dataquest, a market research firm. It has also acquired a number of direct competitors, Meta Group in 2005, AMR Research and Burton Group in early 2010, and Ideas International in 2012.
In March 2014 Gartner announced that it had acquired the privately held company Software Advice for an undisclosed amount. In July 2015, Gartner acquired Nubera, the business app discovery network that owns properties like GetApp (a peer review site), AppStorm, AppAppeal, and CloudWork. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In September 2015 it acquired the privately held peer review site (PRS) Capterra.
In June 2016 Gartner announced that it had acquired the privately held company SCM World, headquartered in London, U.K. On January 5, 2017 Gartner announced it had reached an agreement to acquire CEB, Inc. in a cash and stock deal worth about US$2.6 billion. On March 7, 2017 Gartner announced that it has agreed to buy New York-based L2 Inc, which specialises in benchmarking the digital performance of brands. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- "Gartner Inc, IT:NYQ financials - FT.com". markets.ft.com. Archived from the original on 7 February 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "About Gartner". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- "EDGAR Form 10-Q" (TXT). Securities and Exchange Commission. February 14, 2001.
- GmbH, finanzen.net. "S&P 500 Stocks | S&P 500 Companies | S&P 500 Values | Markets Insider". markets.businessinsider.com. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- "Gartner Has Acquired CEB | Gartner Acquisitions". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- "Gartner at a Glance" (PDF). Gartner.com. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Gartner Group Records, 1981-2000. Finding Aid". University of Minnesota.
- "Gartner Group, Inc. History". FundingUniverse. Archived from the original on 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "Gartner Copyright & Quote Policy - Section 6.1 Attribution". www.gartner.com. 2016-05-27. Archived from the original on 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "Eugene A Hall". Bloomberg. Retrieved May 10, 2020.
- "Gartner Acquisitions". Garnter. Retrieved May 10, 2020.
- "Real Decisions Corporation acquired by Gartner". Crunch Base. Retrieved May 10, 2020.
- Zinch, Barb Mosher (December 2, 2009). "Gartner Acquires AMR Research for US$ 64M". CMSWire. Retrieved May 10, 2020.
- "Gartner Acquires Software Advice". gartner.com. Gartner, Inc. 2014-03-11. Archived from the original on 2015-03-10. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Novoa, Jaimе (2015-07-01). "Gartner acquires Barcelona-based Nubera (GetApp)". Novobrief. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- Leforestier, Ludovic (2015-07-15). "Will research crowdsourcing finally move analyst firms to an experience business model?". Institute of Industry Analyst Relations (IIAR). Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- "Gartner Acquires SCM World". gartner.com. Gartner, Inc. 2016-06-28. Archived from the original on 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Jamerson, Joshua (5 January 2017). "Gartner to Buy CEB Inc. for $2.6 Billion in Cash, Stock". Archived from the original on 5 January 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018 – via www.wsj.com.
- Dignan, Larry (2017-01-05). "Gartner acquires CEB for $2.6 billion, eyes business decision maker expansion". zdnet.com. ZDNet. Archived from the original on 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Leforestier, Ludovic (2017-01-20). "2017, a tectonic year for influencer relations? A world post Gartner + CEB and IDC sold". Institute of Industry Analyst Relations (IIAR). Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Leforestier, Ludovic (2017-03-06). "BREAKING: Gartner gobbles brand benchmarking agency L2". Institute of Industry Analyst Relations (IIAR). Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- "GARTNER BUYS DIGITAL BRAND RESEARCHER L2". Research Live. Retrieved 31 July 2018.