Prince Nikolai of Denmark
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Count of Monpezat|
|Born||28 August 1999|
Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
|Father||Prince Joachim of Denmark|
|Danish royal family|
HM Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
|Extended royal family|
Prince Nikolai of Denmark (Nikolai William Alexander Frederik; born 28 August 1999) is a member of the Danish royal family. He is the elder son of Prince Joachim and his first wife, Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg. He is currently seventh in the line of succession to the Danish throne. At the time of his birth, he was third, after his uncle and father.
Prince Nikolai was born at Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, in Copenhagen on 28 August 1999. Prince Nikolai is the oldest grandchild of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and her husband, Prince Henrik. In addition, the prince is of Chinese descent. He was christened in the chapel of the Fredensborg Palace on 6 November 1999 by the royal vicar Christian Thodberg. At the christening the musical work Lys på din vej, composed by Frederik Magle and dedicated to Prince Nikolai, was performed for the first time.
After their divorce, Prince Joachim and Alexandra had joint custody of Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix. The official Danish royal website states: "Prins Joachim og Alexandra grevinde af Frederiksborg har efter skilsmissen fælles forældremyndighed over Prins Nikolai og Prins Felix." This translates to: "Prince Joachim and Alexandra Countess of Frederiksborg will have joint custody of Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix after their divorce."
Like his father and uncle, Nikolai attended Krebs School in Copenhagen. In 2014, he attended 10th grade in Herlufsholm School at Næstved and after received his upper secondary education there as well.
In May, 2018, it was announced that Prince Nikolai was dating Sydbank president's eldest daughter, Benedikte Thoustrup.
In 2018, it was reported that he was working as a fashion model. He debuted at the 2018 London Fashion Week. On 28 August 2017, many members of the royal family met on HDMY Dannebrog to celebrate Nikolai's 18th birthday.
Titles and styles
Nikolai is styled as "His Highness Prince Nikolai of Denmark, Count of Monpezat". He has been Prince of Denmark since birth and Count of Monpezat since 29 April 2008, when Queen Margrethe granted the title to her male-line descendants.
- Danmarks Radio, Bonanza. "Barnedåb - Prins Nikolai" (in Danish). Archived from the original on 24 April 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Børnene bliver hos Alexandra BT Royale - www.bt.dk". 28 May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Joachim og Alexandra skal skilles Indland DR". 28 May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "H.H. Prins Nikolai Kongehuset". 28 May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Prins Nikolai skal på kostskole". TV2.dk (in Danish). 17 June 2014.
- "H.H. Prins Nikolais konfirmation". Website of the Danish Royal House (in Danish). 18 May 2013.
- Berlingske, 19. februar 2018: Prins Nikolai var model på catwalken under modeuge i London (in Danish)
- "Prince Nikolai of Denmark Celebrates his 18th Birthday At The Royal Ship Dannebrog on August 28, 2017 in Copenhagen, Denmark". Royal Family Around the World. blogspot. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- Prins Nikolai optaget på militær uddannelse TV2 Hentet 6. maj 2018
- "His Highness Prince Nikolai". Danish Royal Court. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
Prince Nikolai of DenmarkBorn: 28 August 1999
|Lines of succession|
Prince Joachim of Denmark
| Line of succession to the Danish throne
Prince Felix of Denmark